Bloomington Hit & Run Lawyer
Nobody should ever have to face the aftermath of a hit and run accident, yet these collisions happen much more frequently than you might think. If another driver caused a crash and fled the scene of the accident, an experienced Bloomington hit & run lawyer can help you to file a claim for financial compensation.
What is a Bloomington Hit and Run Accident?
Hit and run accidents are usually defined as an auto accident where a motorist leaves the scene of the collision and does not provide any contact information or stop to help anyone who may have been injured in the collision.
In Indiana, hit and run accidents can affect many different parties, such as:
- Vehicle passengers;
- Bicyclists; and
Get the Facts About Bloomington Hit and Run Collisions
How often do hit and run accidents happen, and how many people get hurt in these devastating collisions? According to the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, the following are some facts and figures concerning hit and run accidents in the U.S.:
- More than 737,000 hit and run crashes were reported in 2015, and recent estimates suggest that hit and run numbers have increased in recent years;
- On average, a hit and run accident occurs somewhere in the U.S. every 43 seconds;
- More than 2,000 people were fatally injured in hit and run accidents in 2016, and thousands more sustained serious injuries;
- Hit and run accidents account for approximately 12 percent of all reported motor vehicle collisions every year; and
- Fatalities caused by hit and run accidents account for anywhere from about 4 to 6 percent of all reported motor vehicle crash fatalities.
How to Seek Compensation for a Bloomington Hit and Run Collision
Depending upon the specific facts of your case, you may have multiple options for seeking financial compensation after a serious hit and run accident in or around Bloomington, Indiana. Potential options for seeking compensation may include, for example:
- Filing a first-party insurance claim through your own insurance company;
- Seek compensation through your uninsured motorist (UIM) coverage;
- File a third-party claim through the at-fault driver’s insurance if the hit and run driver is identified; or
- File a lawsuit against the hit and run driver if that driver can be identified.
Indiana auto insurance policies come with uninsured motorist coverage, although a driver can reject that coverage in writing. You should have a lawyer assess the particular facts of your case to help you determine the best course of action to obtain the financial compensation you deserve.
Learn More from Our Bloomington Hit and Run Accident Lawyers
At the office of Indianapolis Injury Lawyers, we want to make sure that anyone who has been injured in a serious hit and run accident has options for seeking financial compensation for their losses. We will do everything we can to help you identify the at-fault driver and to hold that motorist accountable. One of our experienced Bloomington hit & run accident attorneys can speak with you today about filing a car accident claim after a hit and run collision. Contact the office of Indianapolis Injury Lawyers for more information about the services we provide to clients in Indiana.