Fort Wayne Personal Injury
Fort Wayne Truck Accident Lawyer
Large trucks are critical for our way of life, providing goods and products that keep us comfortable, safe, and happy. But large trucks themselves aren’t always safe and when a large truck accident occurs, the damages can be catastrophic. In fact, there are thousands of commercial vehicle accidents reported each year in Indiana, dozens of which are fatal. At the law office of Keffer Hirschauer LLP, our Fort Wayne truck accident lawyers know what you and your family are going through after a serious truck accident. Call our law firm today to learn how we can help.
Causes of Truck Accidents
Truck accident claims are complicated, in part, because determining the precise cause of a truck accident may be difficult. There are numerous different potential causes of truck accidents, including:
- Truck driver errors. Truck drivers aren’t perfect, and they may make errors or engage in acts of negligence that put others on the road at risk. For example, drinking while driving, speeding, driving while distracted, and fatigued driving can all lead to accidents.
- Trucking company errors. It’s not just the actions of truck drivers that cause accidents, but the actions of trucking companies, too. Failing to properly screen or train drivers, maintain trucks, and hold drivers to federal Hours of Service requirements can be dangerous.
- Shipper/loader errors. If cargo is improperly loaded or secured, it could shift in transit, resulting in a devastating accident. If this happens, the shipper or loader of the cargo could be held liable.
- Vehicle defects. A truck part defect could be tragic. Things like defective brakes and tires can cause life-changing accidents. The manufacturer or distributor of a defective product could be held liable for damages.
- Third-party negligence. Finally, another third party, such as a third-party driver or a municipality responsible for road maintenance, could be held liable if their negligence leads to a crash.
Why Truck Accidents Are So Complex
In addition to the fact that truck accidents are complex because there are many potentially at-fault parties, truck accidents are also complicated because the degree of damages suffered by victims of the crash is often severe. A victim may incur high medical bills, lost wages, property damage costs, and noneconomic losses in the form of a diminished quality of life, pain, suffering, emotional distress, and long-term/permanent disability. As such, these claims are often valued into the hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars – a sum that no insurance company wants to pay and will certainly fight hard to avoid.
How a Fort Wayne Truck Accident Attorney Can Help
Our Fort Wayne truck accident attorneys can help by bringing in experts to build your case, calculating your damages, proving fault, and aggressively negotiating with an insurance company to get you the settlement you’re entitled to. We know how much is on the line and what you deserve, and we promise to work hard for you.
To learn more about our lawyers and how we can serve you, please call us today to schedule a free consultation.