Close Menu
Indianapolis Injury Lawyer > Indianapolis Hit/Run & Uninsured Driver Accident Lawyer

Indianapolis Hit/Run & Uninsured Driver Accident Lawyer

Helping People Hit by Uninsured and Hit-and-Run Drivers

Indiana law says every driver must carry liability insurance, but not everybody listens. The rate of uninsured drivers in the state is as high as 16.7%, according to the latest statistics, meaning about one in six drivers on the road at any given time does not have insurance. Indiana ranks eighth in the country for having the most uninsured drivers. What can you do if the driver who hits you doesn’t have insurance? What if the driver leaves the scene without giving you their personal information, or never stops in the first place? There are ways to get compensation after a crash, including collisions with uninsured drivers and hit-and-run car accidents. The Indianapolis hit/run & uninsured driver accident lawyers at Indianapolis Injury Lawyers can help.

What is uninsured motorist coverage?

Uninsured motorist, or UM, coverage is insurance that covers you in the event the driver who hit you did not have insurance. In these situations, you make a claim with your insurance company under the UM portion of your auto liability policy. Under Indiana law, insurers are required to offer UM coverage in at least the 25/50/25 amounts required for liability in a car accident. As the policyholder, this coverage is included in your policy unless you specifically reject it in writing. Some drivers reject UM coverage because they don’t fully understand what it does, or they don’t think they need it. However, given the relatively high number of uninsured drivers in Indiana and the relatively low cost to add UM, we recommend carrying as much UM coverage as you can afford, at least equal to the amount of liability insurance you carry.

What is underinsured motorist coverage?

Underinsured motorist, or UIM, insurance can cover you if the other driver only carries the minimum amount of insurance, but your damages exceed that amount. For instance, if the negligent driver who hit you only has $25,000 in liability insurance, but your injury claim is worth $40,000, you can make a claim with your UIM coverage for the difference. You have $50,000 in UIM coverage on your auto insurance policy, unless you rejected it.

Do I need an attorney to make a UM/UIM claim?

Some people don’t think about hiring an attorney when filing a claim with their own insurance, but there is really no difference between filing a claim with your insurance company or the other driver’s. In either case, the insurance company is interested in avoiding liability if it can or settling for the lowest amount it can get away with it. Insurance companies offer far less to settle claims with people who don’t have legal representation. We can help you understand what your claim is worth and negotiate a fair settlement that covers all your legal damages.

What if I was injured by a Hit-and-Run driver?

According to the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, hit-and-run accidents rose seven percent every year over the past ten years and are currently at an all-time high. This increase is more than just a sad commentary on the decline of personal accountability; a hit-and-run crash victim may need immediate medical attention or other help that the other driver could provide. For this reason and others, Indiana law requires all drivers involved in a crash to immediately stop at the scene or as close as possible without obstructing traffic more than necessary. All drivers are required to remain at the scene, show their driver’s license, and exchange names, addresses, and vehicle registrations. If the accident involved injury or death, a driver must also provide reasonable assistance and, as soon as possible, immediately notify the police. Leaving the scene of an accident is a criminal offense that ranges from a Class B misdemeanor to a Level 3 felony, depending upon whether anyone was injured and how badly or if a drunk driver caused the accident.

If you find yourself alone on the road after a hit-and-run accident, it can be a very scary and confusing time. You may not know what to do and be worried about who will pay for the damage done. Call the police to the scene so they can make a report of the accident, and tell them everything you can remember about the car that hit you. They may be able to find the driver so you can make a claim. If you can’t find the driver, you can make a claim under your UM coverage. Call Indianapolis Injury Lawyers for help in this process. Based on our time as fatal alcohol crash team prosecutors in Indianapolis and beyond, we have the expertise needed to investigate the crash at the scene or review police reports, and we can build a strong case that proves the other driver’s liability for causing the accident, even when they can’t be found. We’re also there to negotiate a settlement on your behalf with your insurance company or litigate your claim in court if necessary.

Call Indianapolis Injury Lawyers for Immediate Assistance after an Indianapolis Car Accident with an Uninsured Driver or Hit-and-Run

For immediate help after a crash involving an uninsured driver or a hit-and-run in Indianapolis, call Indianapolis Injury Lawyers for a free consultation with a team of skilled and experienced Indianapolis car accident lawyers.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

Schedule a

protected by reCAPTCHA Privacy - Terms