Lafayette Slip & Fall Lawyer
Millions of Americans are hurt every year in accidents, but you might be surprised to learn that the top cause of nonfatal injuries in the US is slip and falls. The Centers for Disease Control andPrevention (CDC) reports that unintentional falls rank #1 as the reason people in 8 of 10 age groups seek medical care in emergency rooms, at almost 8.6 million victims. Plus, slip and falls rank #2 in the remaining two age groups. For victims and their families, the losses can be devastating.
Fortunately, you do have options under Indiana law if you were hurt in a slip and fall accident that occurs because of a property owner’s failure to properly maintain the space. You may qualify for monetary damages for your losses, and our team at Indianapolis Injury Lawyers will be at your side throughout the legal process. Please contact us to schedule a no-cost consultation with a Lafayette slip & fall lawyer right away. An overview of the relevant concepts may also be helpful.
How Slip and Fall Cases Work in Indiana
These claims are a type of personal injury case based upon premises liability, so the legal concept of negligence applies. There are four essential elements you must prove to obtain compensation:
- The property owner had a duty to use reasonable care in maintaining the space and protecting against foreseeable risks;
- That person or entity breached this legal duty by not repairing dangerous conditions or failing to inspect the property for hazards;
- The breach of duty with the direct cause of the slip and fall accident in which you were injured; and,
- You suffered losses because of being hurt.
In most premises liability cases, you initiate the legal process by filing a claim with the property owner’s insurance company. While this may seem as easy as filling out some forms, you could encounter challenges. An insurer may be reluctant to pay out because your claim affects its bottom line. If the insurance company refuses to settle, you may need to go to court to obtain fair compensation.
Monetary Damages in Premises Liability Claims
Our attorneys at Indianapolis Injury Lawyersare persistent in pursuing at-fault property owners through the insurance claims process and litigation. We aim to recover full compensation in a premises liability case, including:
- Economic Damages: This category of compensation covers medical costs for treatment, lost income if you were unable to work, and other out-of-pocket expenses; and,
- Non-Economic Damages: Some of the losses you sustain are not as definite in nature, but you certainly endure hardship. It may be possible to recover compensation for pain and suffering, emotional distress, diminished quality of life, and other losses.
Speak with a Lafayette Slip and Fall Injury Lawyer Right Away
From this description, you can see that premises liability concepts are complicated. Instead of putting your rights as a victim at risk, please contact Indianapolis Injury Lawyers for assistance with the claims process. You can set up a free consultation at our Lafayette, IN offices by calling 317.455.4043 or going online.