Lafayette Truck Accident Lawyer
While all motor vehicle crashes can lead to serious injuries and fatalities, truck accidents are among the most devastating and life-changing for victims. A publication on Indiana Traffic Safety Facts: Commercial Vehicles reveals the frequency of these horrific incidents. Every year, there are more than 16,700 collisions involving large commercial vehicles, killing approximately 150 people and causing injuries to almost 3,300 others. Victims face substantial losses and a highly complicated process when attempting to recover compensation for them.
You can count on our team at Indianapolis Injury Lawyersto aggressively pursue all potential parties to get the monetary damages you deserve as the victim of a truck crash. We have extensive experience dealing with insurers, but we are also ready to represent you in court. Please contact our firm to schedule a no-cost case assessment with a Lafayette truck accident lawyer, and read on for some information on the legal issues.
How Truck Accidents Happen in Indiana
Generally speaking, collisions involving 18-wheelers, commercial vehicles, semis, and other large trucks occur because of driver negligence. Various types of careless, reckless conduct commonly lead to crashes, including:
- Running a red light or stop sign;
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol;
- Unlawful lane changes or maneuvers in a no-passing zone;
- Distracted driving, such as texting, talking on the phone, eating, and drinking; and,
- Many others.
However, there are other factors that affect operating a truck, so there are additional causes involved with these accidents. A collision could be the result of improper loading of cargo, taking curves too quickly, defective tractor or trailer equipment, and many other types of trucking negligence.
Legal Assistance with Complicated Truck Claims
As with other motor vehicle accidents, your first step in obtaining compensation is filing a claim with the responsible party’s insurer. If you cannot reach a fair settlement agreement, you may need to go to court to get the amount you deserve.
Aside from this similarity, truck accidents are much more complex than car collisions for numerous reasons. Our attorneys at Indianapolis Injury Lawyerswill address and overcome these challenges, but you should be aware that:
- You could be dealing with multiple potential parties beyond the truck driver and insurer. It may be necessary to pursue the operator’s employer, the company that loaded cargo, a manufacturer of defective parts, and others.
- Federal regulations require truck operators carry levels of insurance that start at $750,000 and reach into the millions. For this reason, insurers assign their best qualified, most experienced employees to fight your claim at every opportunity.
Discuss Your Remedies with Our Lafayette Truck Accidents Lawyers
As you can see, truck crash claims are more complex than a typical motor vehicle collision. For this reason, it is essential to retain skilled legal counsel for assistance in pursuing all responsible parties. Our attorneys at Indianapolis Injury Lawyers can guide you through the process, so please call 317.455.4043 or go online to reach our Lafayette, IN offices. We can schedule a free consultation to review your circumstances and determine next steps.